Thursday, January 25, 2007

When Is A Lie Not A Lie?

This morning I was remembering the lawyer/real estate investor that I dated three years ago. His Match.com profile stated that he was 59 (I was 53 at the time). When I met him and started running the numbers on the ages of his children, he admitted he was 69, not 59. A slip of the finger? I don't think so. You write your profile, you fill in all the blanks, then you look at it and see it says you're 54 rather than 58 or whatever. You know you've made an error and you go fix it.

What does one gain by misstating his age? Someone will give him a first look who otherwise wouldn't have looked at him? But it's deceit — it's basic deceit. And if he is deceptive on that issue, what other issues will he be deceptive on?

This man said he was separated and no hope of reconciliation. But then I was with him at UofA homecoming and he was reconnecting with his old fraternity brothers. I was looking quite foxy that day and we were sitting in the fraternity tent. He said to a couple of the guys, "Yeah, I've got a wife and kids in the Bay area." I beg your pardon? What does that make me?!

I have a very hard time trusting any man (or woman) who lies on any issue. In my book, a lie is a lie.

And I'll close with a funny story. Two weeks ago when Boston and Riah were with me, Riah started playing the piano. When Boston went up to play at the same time, she wouldn't let him and pitched quite a fit. I had a toy car I was intending to give him, so I chose that time to give it to him to divert him from the problems at the piano. She came into the kitchen and attempted to take the car away from him and he wouldn't budge. She started whining to me that he wasn't sharing. I said, "Riah, you wouldn't share at the piano, so he's not sharing with his car." (Why does my logic never work on three-year-olds?!) A few minutes later I heard her wailing. When I turned to see what the matter was, she said, "I smashed my finger." In trying to ascertain where and how she had smashed her finger, it became clear there had been absolutely no finger-smashing. This was her attempt to get my attention since I hadn't forced Boston to share his new car.

Thankfully, her mother was a phone call away to resolve the issues and remonstrate her for lying to Grandma.

I wish these lying men were as easy to censure!

1 comment:

Traveler said...

So, are you saying the ECB may not be quite what he is saying he is, or something else is still troubling you?

Traveler