Thursday, September 18, 2008

Where Does It End?

As I raced out the door for my long drive this morning, I forgot my iPod, so I chose to listen to the various news stations on XMRadio for my drive. I listened to the information about the "bridge loan" the government is giving to AIG (loan? will it really be repaid? eighty-five billion dollars? billion??).

Last night at rehearsal I met yet another out-of-work lawyer. A new friend at work tells me about her mother ("she's your age," she keeps telling me) who was laid off two months ago and can't find a job. When we were interviewing for the new tech writer at work, three of the six people we interviewed had been laid off. Every day it seems I hear of someone else who has lost his or her job.

On the radio this morning, I heard McCain speaking in Canton. He talks a good game; he sounds like he knows what he's doing. But I'm scared. After what has happened to me financially this summer because of the real estate market—which I, rightly or wrongly, blame on the Republican administration—I do not feel or believe I can trust John McCain. And especially with that ding-a-ling he has chosen for a running mate. As much as I lack respect for Hillary, I would vote for Hillary before I would vote for Sarah Palin!

But I got off the track of my original question.

Where is it going to end? What is going to happen to us? How many more people are going to lose their jobs before someone in the government is going to wake up? They can't keep rescuing big businesses that make stupid mistakes, that pay outrageous salaries to execs who make poor decisions. The government can't keep expecting the taxpayers to foot the bill. The execs with the six-, seven-, and eight-figure salaries are finding some way around the tax bills. They are not paying their share of the taxes. You and I are paying the taxes that are bailing out Fannie and Freddie and AIG and whichever big company is going to be in the news tomorrow.

And in the meantime someone else is going to lose her job tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow. And then she won't be able to buy food or make her mortgage payment or put gas in her car to go to the next job interview or pay the electric bill when the lake effect snow hits this winter.

It's got to end somewhere. I'm sick of thinking about Obama and McCain. I want the election over already. I want whoever is going to win to just step up to the plate and a) implement affordable health care coverage for Americans, and b) stop bailing out big companies who make stupid (and probably unethical) decisions, and c) get the stinking economy under control so I can stop paying so much for gas on my daily commute, put more money towards my bills, and be able to move out and have my own place to live before my grandchildren reach high school.

I want my things out of storage. I want to be able to walk to my bookshelves and pull down my books and sit in my chair and read. I want to be a dinner guest, not a squatter. (I love and appreciate my kids. Please don't misunderstand. But you know the adage about fish and visitors. I don't want to start to stink!)

We need someone who can fix the things that are wrong with our country. And we need it as soon as possible. We are in dire circumstances!

(Make note of the date. The Southern Belle who never talks about politics or religion has talked about politics. And the understatedly elegant Miss Priss who doesn't believe in bumper stickers thinks she's probably going to order a Obamacan bumper sticker from Cafe Press for her car. The world may stop spinning in the next 24 hours.)

2 comments:

Jill said...

And please, please make sure it is a GOP for Obama like ours!! And oh yes I am still 60, unemployed (layoff) and as of this moment we are without insurance - COBRA was $902.45 a month for a husband and wife. I am so hoping that Americans will wake-up and see that we need a real change - well educated to start with!! Back to the job hunt.

Jan Crews said...

Jill, I don't know if this URL will come through. I found the Obamican bumper sticker on CafePress and it's going on my Acura bumper as soon as it arrives. A first for me!
http://bumperstickers.cafepress.com/item/obamican-sticker-bumper/303213612