Friday, September 05, 2008

Mama's Got a New Attitude

My brilliant best buddy Keith is my hero of the month. My attitude at work has been getting worse and worse with each passing day. As I've mentioned with increasing regularity, my cubicle is positioned equidistantly under four air conditioning vents, turning it into a cold air typhoon. There is no way to dress appropriately for the weather in my cube.

Yesterday Keith walked by to say hi and noticed me wrapped in all my winter finery when it was 88 degrees outside. He looked at his former cubicle next to mine, then looked at the ceiling and noticed there were only two vents feeding his old cube. He asked why I didn't just move over there. My manager heard the whole conversation and, sick of hearing me complain about being cold, nodded and asked why I didn't just try it.

I picked up my laptop and rolled my chair next door. Within fifteen minutes, I was considerably warmer. Within two hours, my manager had cleared the move with the director, had put in the order for my network drop to be changed, my phone to be moved, and the seating chart to be updated. When I got back from lunch, I moved my books and things. There were several times throughout the afternoon when I actually took my sweater off!

And I didn't even once think about quitting my job because of the physical discomfort of the building.

All for a six foot move! I wish I had thought of it the day Keith moved out of his old cube. Actually, I wish I had thought of it!

No comments: