Friday, September 19, 2008

Stay on Track!

Boston is easily diverted from whatever his task-at-hand might be at the moment. I'm constantly saying to him "stay on track" or "stay on target".

Last week I bought the fabric for Ridley's Hallowe'en costume. I won't tell you exactly how much I spent, but it was over $50 for the pattern and 3+ yards each of satin and rhinestone-encrusted organza in a deep violet-purple shade to make her a princess.

Last night she asked me if I could make a shirt for her pink Webkinz cat. I told her I had lots of projects that were ahead of that on my list. I said, "I have to make your costume." "Costumes," she corrected me. I asked her what she meant and she started reeling off three or four different characters she had decided to be for Hallowe'en, including an ogre and a princess and I don't remember what else. And of course princess was not among them. Oh shit.

I think I should have had her draw a picture of her princess costume and tape it to her bedroom wall so she wouldn't have forgotten what she told grandma-the-sewist.

Well, Ridley, this year you're going to be a princess. Only a princess. Tough luck.

I had to laugh — once I was out of her earshot.

(By the way, "O Girl", Boston's choice for her costume, was not among her selections for Hallowe'en.)

2 comments:

Ypsi said...

Emily has asked me to knit sweaters for her pink Webkinz cat. As if -- I have still not finished that ONE sock I was working on.

As for Halloween, Emily went from wanting to be Max & Ruby (with Max) from the TV show, to now being a "pink evil witch" and she wants Max to be a "pink evil robot" or a "pink evil cat".

This will be interesting!

Jeannie said...

LOL! Gotta love little kids!! These stories made me recall the year Alex wanted red shoes for xmas. He was 3. And that is ALL he wanted. There was NO list ... it was simply red shoes. Whenever anyone asked what he wanted for xmas the answer was red shoes. I was desperate. Does anyone have any idea how hard it is to find red shoes for a little boy in Nov? Almost impossible. After searching desperately I finally found a pair a couple of weeks before xmas. I was THRILLED to say the least. I will never forget tucking that sweet little boy in for the night about a week before xmas and kissing his head and asking if he was excited that Santa would finally be bringing his red shoes next week. He looked up at me and said ... "Nope! Want GREEN ones!!" And this is why SOME species eat their young and I think Marmotry should be a legal defense for doing so!!

Good luck with your sewing projects my friend ... I know they will be perfect and Ridley will be as thrilled as the little prince was with his red shoes 15 years ago!! :-)