Saturday, September 20, 2008

Alone, Still, Naturally

I often wonder why, at 58, I'm still alone. In assessing myself, I think I'm pretty. I think I'm kind. I know I'm smart and accomplished. I think I'm pleasant and enjoyable to be with. Where did my life veer off the beaten path so that I'm all alone at a point where I should be planning retirement trips with my sweetheart?

Then I saw this joke/quote this morning and smiled:

Women are like apples on trees. The best ones are at the top of the tree. Most men don't want to reach for the good ones because they are afraid of falling and getting hurt. Instead, they sometimes take the apples from the ground that aren't as good, but easy. The apples at the top think something is wrong with them, when in reality, they're amazing. They just have to wait for the right man to come along, the one who is brave enough and smart enough to climb all the way to the top of the tree.

I like that. There's more to the joke that I don't agree with, something about men being like grapes. If you want to read the rest of it, you'll have to Google it yourselves.

No comments: