Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Perfect Houseguests

I have the perfect houseguest this week. Her name is Bindy Lambell and she's a wonderfully creative lampwork beadmaker and beading teacher, as well as being, simply, a sweetheart.

This is the second year Bindy has stayed with me rather than in a hotel when she comes for the Best Bead Show. There are two reasons she stays with me. One is that the greedy hoteliers in Tucson triple (at least triple!) their prices for the Gem & Mineral Show crowd, so that a room that's really worth about $35 per night suddenly costs $120 a night, and a small vendor such as Bindy has much of her show profit eaten up by her housing costs. The second reason? We enjoy each other's company so much. Bindy and I met back in 2001. I was trying to learn to do lampworking and I joined the International Society of Glass Beadmakers and had a big party while they were all in town for the shows. Bindy and I hit it off instantly and have developed a lovely long-distance friendship between Tucson and Huntington Beach. It's the kind of thing where either party can say what she needs to say and get instant support.

Bindy as a houseguest? Made in heaven! I mail her a key, she arrives, lets herself in, unloads all her stuff, and sets to work preparing for the show. She brings her own food (lucky for her!), runs the dishwasher, throws away trash, pets Rudi, takes me to dinner one night as a thank you gift, and on and on. When I get home from rehearsals or performances, she tells me about her day with crazy customers and I tell her about my evenings with adrenalin-sped conductors. And when she leaves at the end of her visit, she even gives me a bead or two. Sheer heaven!

The greatest gift, which she gave me last year, was to teach me bead crochet. I have become passionate about bead crochet. I make beaded ropes on planes and during meetings. You'll remember that's what I was doing before dinner on New Year's Eve when my date indicated I was being rude.

I will be sad when Bindy leaves next Monday, as I won't be living in Tucson next year and won't get this week-long slumber party with a dear friend. And I wish for each of you that your next houseguest is as wonderful as Bindy.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm thinking I should send this to my 3 cousins whom are all coming the last week of February!

Jill said...

Is her booth somewhere the general public can get in???