Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day

I don't have a Valentine this year.

Oh, wait. I have two Valentines, aged six and four.

No, wait. I have hundreds of Valentines. First, Boston and Ridley. Next, TJ and Kathryn and Tyler and Jaci. I sent flowers to my mother, so I guess I need to count her. But that handful is followed by all the wonderful friends I've made in Tucson, who are all frantically trying to catch up with me and dine with me and talk to me before I leave town. I am blessed.

My boss (I'm dining this evening with her and her husband) called me yesterday to say how much she appreciated me and how I have elevated the art of what our team does with the IBM System Storage Web site. She told me if I get to Akron and find this new job doesn't suit me, I am to call her and she will find a position in IBM for me. She envisions lots of departments in which I could be useful and treasured, once I'm out from under this self-serving, control-freak manager.

I've never had so many friends in my life as I do right now. And thanks to the power and breadth of the Internet, I'll never lose them.

I leave you, this Valentine's day, with favorite poems from earlier times in my life. I hope someone tells you today how much they treasure you.

1 comment:

TJ said...

Friends are gold. I've had valentines the last several years, and none of them held a candle to my friends.

(Accidentally entertaining choice of words, as I'm doing the fill-the-condo-with-candles thing for Kathryn this year. I'll take pictures.)