Thursday, February 14, 2008

It feels like rai-aindrops, Falling from my eye-eyes

Who among these readers remembers the old Dee Clark song, "Raindrops"? That's what it feels like today.

The impossible has become reality. And yet, throughout the past year, I kept hoping something could be arranged, worked out, that would enable me to stay in this job and work from Ohio. Everyone on the various teams I'm a part of was hopeful, by all indications. Donna tried and tried and tried to work something out. But at every twist and turn, she was blocked by a manager who has his own agenda and seems to care only for his personal and financial advancement, not for the good of the organization.

It makes me mad; it makes me sad. I feel like the proverbial sacrificial lamb. I feel used and abused. And sad. I guess that most of all I feel sad.

I'm going to a much better place. Donna and I spoke several times yesterday and last night. My new job includes better salary and better benefits. But at the same time it includes learning new names and faces and idiosyncracies and learning styles. And tasks. An enormous learning curve to start over again, at age almost-58.

I'll be so happy to be together with Ty and Jaci and the babies again. But as I walk through this day, tears keep welling up in my eyes.

And life goes on.

No comments: