Saturday, February 23, 2008

I'm Livin' and Lovin' Technology

Yesterday, an hour east of Tucson, I reached over to the touch screen on my GPS and asked to search for hotels. After determining there was not a Residence Inn in Deming or Las Cruces, I searched El Paso and got a hit.

The listing on my GPS screen for the hotel included the phone number, so I picked up my phone from my lap, dialed the number on the screen, and spoke into my Bluetooth earpiece, reserving a room in El Paso.

The other cool technology piece is a new device for my iPod. I used to have the old-fashioned device that you insert into the cassette player. The wire that hangs down from the cassette player is then inserted into the earpiece outlet on the iPod and you can hear the output on your car stereo. Ah, but technology keeps marching.

Earlier this week at the Apple store I bought a device that plugs into the car power outlet (formerly the cigarette lighter). You plug the other end into the iPod, then select an FM band that is unused on your radio and tune the device to that frequency. Voila! You can hear your iPod outlet AND the iPod is being charged as it plays, rather than being drained. Way cool!

No comments: