Monday, October 22, 2007

There's a Fine, Fine Line

Last night I went with some new friends to see Avenue Q at the Tucson Music Hall. I had fun - some of the lines and songs struck me as very funny and some scenes made me a little uncomfortable. But I'm very glad I saw it. One of the songs that felt to me like they were singing my life was "There's a Fine, Fine Line." The line I loved the most is: There's a fine, fine line between love and a waste of time.

There's a fine, fine line between a lover and a friend;
There's a fine, fine line between reality and pretend;
And you never know 'til you reach the top if it was worth the uphill climb.

There's a fine, fine line between love
And a waste of time.

There's a fine, fine line between a fairy tale and a lie;
And there's a fine, fine line between "You're wonderful" and "Goodbye."
I guess if someone doesn't love you back it isn't such a crime,
But there's a fine, fine line between love
And a waste of your time.

And I don't have the time to waste on you anymore.
I don't think that you even know what you're looking for.
For my own sanity, I've got to close the door
And walk away...
Oh...

There's a fine, fine line between together and not
And there's a fine, fine line between what you wanted and what you got.
You gotta go after the things you want while you're still in your prime...

There's a fine, fine line between love
And a waste of time.


As a postscript to the weekend, the Friday night show was like a very clean dress rehearsal, and the Saturday performances were fabulous. Sunday was a nightmare for me, as the regular sound guy was off and the young woman who ran sound for that show didn't know the show, didn't know the mics, couldn't keep things balanced. I had difficulty hearing the singers and kept having to pull back what I was doing to not overpower the singers. The sound guy will be back next weekend - whew.

No comments: