Saturday, September 15, 2007

Tonight's Dinner

He didn't show. In all fairness, he called. At 6:00. Exactly when he was supposed to be picking me up. What? He couldn't have called at noon or two or whatever point he realized his work was going to hold him in Dallas over the weekend? He couldn't have allowed me to make alternate plans? Now that was rude.

He did mention my e-mail and said, basically, "you can't blame a guy for trying."

I've mentioned in the past that I believe every time he told me he loved me was following the consumption of at least three martinis. When his daughter and I messaged about the situation today, her immediate reaction was that he had been drinking last night. Totally slipped my mind.

I always believe people say what they mean and mean what they say—as I do. Well, most of the time. I guess I make exceptions when people's feelings are involved or the situation is too confrontational.

So the next time he calls I'm going to try to say what I mean. Which will be: "please lose my phone number."

No comments: