Monday, September 24, 2007

Boxes

I'm coming to grips with being 57. For the three years prior to turning 57, I said I was in my mid-50s, and that was okay. (And may the Unknowable bless all those people who tell me I don't look my age.) Once I turned 57, however, I felt I had to say I was in my late 50s.

Then tonight I renewed my Grammy membership. (That's the National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences, not an organization of grandmothers, thank you very much.) This year, for the first time, they're requesting self-identification for sex, race and age. But they divide the ages differently than any other organization or business that I've seen. The box I fit in was 55-64. Why does that feel even older than saying I'm in my late 50s?

I don't like that box! Can't I have the 50-60 box back?

1 comment:

Traveler said...

I prefer the engineering standard of measure for everything including age classifications. Therefore, ages 50 to 54 is classified as "early 50's", 55 to 57 is classified as "mid-50's" and 58 up to age 60 is classified as "late 50's." So Jan, you are still in your "mid-50's".

Traveler