Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Going Outside My Comfort Zone

After pondering this action for about a year, I went to breakfast with the Traveler on Saturday by means of his new Honda Gold Wing.

I tried to dress appropriately - hiking boots, jeans, t-shirt (not long enough in the sleeves nor high enough in the neck), and sunglasses. He had bought a new helmet for his female riders to share (I don't know how many of us there are, but I was the first - she said, smiling.)

I was scared to death for the first five minutes, then started settling down, with the help of deep breathing and toeing in on the footrest, which made me feel more secure - for whatever reason.

We've been talking lately about bells and whistles on this blog. Honey, this new Traveling machine has tons o' bells and whistles. XMRadio, navigation, comfortable seats. The helmets have microphones so we could talk to each other and point out things we were passing.

The funniest feeling for me was being able to point at something or use my hands to gesture as I was speaking. I know he couldn't see my hand movement, but it just felt very odd to be behind him on the bike rather than beside him in a car.

Jaci, whose dad has had motorcycles all her life, told me that once I started riding I would be addicted.

I'm not sure I'm addicted, and I'm not sure I'm ready to ride all the way to Patagonia for breakfast (as is Lee's Sunday norm), but it wasn't bad.

And that's high praise for someone who still can hear her daddy saying, "Don't you kids ever ride motorcycles. I've sewn up too many cuts in the emergency room."

1 comment:

Traveler said...

You are a real trooper! I didn't know you were toeing in on the passenger foot rests but, I could sense you were pointing at things as we drove along and yes, you were the first person to put that helmet on. Didn't those dougnuts smell good?

Traveler