Thursday, September 27, 2007

Teasing: Fun or Cruel?

Are there varied types of teasing? Am I the only person on the planet who doesn't like to be teased? Does the nature of the teasing depend upon the esteem in which the teaser holds the teasee?

I told the Biker that I have a hard time with his teasing. His response: I was raised in a family that teased. It was a way showing they cared about you. It wasn't cruel, just fun.

To me, teasing is cruel. Do I occasionally say something of a teasing nature to a friend. Yes, I guess I do. But it's not a constant thing, and maybe I'm sensing that with the Biker it's a constant thing.

My sense of the teasing I received as an adolescent and a teenager is that it was cruel. A little cruel teasing goes a very long way and is emotionally abusive, in my book. It's bullying. Isn't it?

I told my boys at Rio the other night that my trip to Long Beach this weekend will either be the first date of the rest of my life or the very last date of my entire life.

1 comment:

TJ said...

K gets on my case when I affectionately say something a little too barbed. So no, you're not alone.