Wednesday, August 27, 2008

It's Not Satire!

The more I listen to David Sedaris's "When You Are Engulfed in Flames", the more I'm enjoying it. I had some genuine laugh-out-loud moments this evening. The chapters of the book that are recorded live are the best—he seems to feed off the audience's laughter.

I was listening this evening as I was driving to WYSU Member Movie Night. I dressed carefully this morning in a gorgeous pair of khaki-colored silk wide-leg trousers I got at Talbot's this summer at a super mark-down price. I wore them with my fave black suede Cole-Haan retro platforms and a black turtleneck. I had screwed up my courage and was pleased that I was going to get out there and make some new friends. Alas! The best-laid plans of mice and men and all that. There was an accident on I-80 about two miles east of the reservoir. It took me almost two hours to travel a distance that should have taken me fifty minutes. The theatre where the Movie Night was being held was another 15 minutes east of Youngstown in Hermitage, PA. At the time I passed the accident, the movie was starting. I drove home and spent the evening reading. I'll try again next month.

But David Sedaris and his tales of saying "okay" in French when he didn't understand what was being said to him kept me from getting too upset.

No comments: