Tuesday, December 04, 2007

To Be Admired and Honored

As I sat on the piano bench at St. Francis on Saturday morning, playing for girls and boys aged 4 through 18 (and a few adults) who were auditioning for roles in "The Sound of Music," I looked at the eight adults sitting at the table, observing, critiquing, listening.

These friends gave up their December Saturday morning to sit, without compensation, deciding who would be right for the various roles in this play. Then I started thinking about the number of times this scene was replicated across Tucson and the entire country: staging for "Amahl and the Night Visitors," herding tiny mice in the dress rehearsal for "The Nutcracker," helping Tiny Tim find his mark in "The Christmas Carol."

In my view, these adults' interest is twofold. They're pursuing their own interest in and love of theatre and the performing arts. But they're also helping these children follow their passion — or stick a toe in the theatrical water to see if an interest is going to develop into a passion.

I was there because I adore Robert Encila, and because he was paying me to be there. I'm not sure I would have been there without the pay. I missed the Pi Phi holiday brunch to take this gig.

But those adults sitting at this table and tables and stages everywhere, helping and nurturing? I don't see the self-interest in their actions. I see a heart for the children and a desire to give and teach and help little ones grow.

And I salute them.

No comments: