Saturday, December 22, 2007

Random Thoughts from an Exhausted Mind

Four days off — Yippee!

Last night I lost my shoe as I was climbing the stairs to the risers. I was wearing slides and my heel caught on one of the steps and it came off. The woman behind me reached down, picked it up, and handed it to me. I couldn't stop and put it on, as I was impeding the progress of about 30 women trying to get to their chairs. I was carrying my shoe and my folder, a shawl (it's damned cold on that stage!) and a small purse. Then as I turned to go into the back row, I dropped my purse. It's clutch (note to male readers: that means it doesn't have a strap or a handle) and I couldn't pick it up. There I was, holding up the whole line of women trying to get into the back row as I was trying to balance all this shtuff. Finally got the purse up, then got to my place in the middle of the back row, put everything on my chair, put my shoe on, then sat down. I'm sure it only took a few seconds, but it felt like I had my butt toward the audience for about 10 minutes trying to pick up the shoe and the purse! Lesson: wear pumps tonight, even if they're less comfortable.

Today I must run errands while trying to stay as far away from the malls as possible. I never gave the Continental Ranch Home Owners' Association proper notice when I rented my house last year, so need to take the lease addendum and some other paperwork out to get my [wonderful] tenant's signatures. (I hate HOAs.) Also have to pick up two Christmas gifts that were shipped out there. I've been in my new house for a year-and-a-half. How could my brother and sister-in-law and John's brother and sister-in-law not have my address?!

I want to pick up some rocks at the materials place to spread in the cactus garden along the east wall in my backyard. The landscape people came a week ago and did several hundred dollars-worth of cleanup and the yard looks fabulous. Next Thursday the tree guys will come and trim the trees. Then the painter will come just after the 1st of January and when he's done I can put the house on the market.

Speaking of trees, I was listening to yesterday's Wall Street Journal feed while waiting for the concert last night. Did you know there are places where you can be fined for trimming your trees? The article, "Step Away From the Clippers" tells about, among others, a couple in Glendale, Calif., who faced a $347,600 fine from the city this summer for pruning some of the towering oak trees and sycamores on their property, even though they were ordered to do so by the fire department. I'm hoping my arborist is up-to-date on the tree-trimming laws of Tucson before he gets me in trouble with the local tree cops. (Tree Abuse? There's actually something called "tree abuse?" What next? A bill of rights for trees? Gimmeabreak!)

Frank (remember the Gardener?) dropped by the other day and left a bottle of wine and a gift on the dining table. (He has a key for all the times he takes care of Rudi for me when I travel.) I called him yesterday and told him how embarrassed I was. When he asked why, I told him "my house looks like four slobs live there." His gentle reply? "You're a woman in transition." I think I'll have that tattooed on my forehead.

I'm trying to keep from feeling overwhelming sadness at being away from my family this Christmas. I am extremely grateful to my friends who are stepping in and propping me up: Jill is having a party tomorrow night; Gail has invited me for Christmas Eve dinner; Maureen is having me over for Christmas dinner; Howard is taking me for dinner and jazz on New Year's Eve; and Jim and Debra (who keeps thanking me for suggesting she try jdate.com, where she met Jim) are having their engagement party on New Year's Day.

1 comment:

TJ said...

My buddy Dan holds Friendsgiving (for the family you've chosen) Friday or Saturday after T'giving.

I've done a couple Christmases (as well as Thanksgivings) like yours. It helps you to appreciate your friends more.