Sunday, December 23, 2007

On Being Desired

My mother constantly sits on my shoulder and whispers in my ear, repeating all the words she said aloud to me in the 50s and 60s: you're not nice, you're not desirable, people don't like you. Well, those weren't the exact words. The words, precisely, were "You'll never get a man. You're too obstinate." and "You wouldn't want to have a daughter. She'd be just like you and nobody would want that."

Being raised to believe one is dumb, ugly and incompetent is a very heavy pattern to redraft (to use a clothing design metaphor).

And today I'm struck by the number of friends I have who want me around.


  • Jill has invited me to her party tonight.
  • Gail has invited me to join her family for dinner tomorrow.
  • Maureen has invited me to join her and George for dinner on Christmas, their first Christmas as a married couple. And I'll take my laptop and teach her some Word tricks.
  • Pat, a chorus friend, asked me last night if I would come over and teach her and several friends how to do bead crochet, in exchange for her providing lunch. (Ah, the way to my heart — home cooking.)

So there, Mother. I am nice. People do like me. You're wrong. Now get off my shoulder!

1 comment:

Traveler said...

I will be happy to give her the boot for you.

Lee