Thursday, December 27, 2007

New Year's Resolutions

I received an e-mail from a fabric store the other day that included their New Year's Resolutions for Sewers:

  • I will not add anything to the stash unless something comes out; not that I have room to add anything else.

  • I will buy extra yardage of the main fabric because it's inevitable that I will get close to the end and not have enough.

  • I will buy fabric if I LOVE it. Hey, if I don't buy it now it won't be there when I need it and come back, right?

  • I will not start a new project until I have finished the first project. No more half-finished quilts and skirts!

  • I will read the instructions several times before I start a project. My seam ripper needs a break and my mouth could use some cleaning.

  • I will do a test run of the quilt block or clothing item I am making to be sure it looks how I planned BEFORE I start in on the expensive material.

  • I will finally clean my sewing area and *sigh* throw away that stuff I haven't needed in years.

  • I will learn to love my pins and not just see them as an unnecessary step.



As I start cleaning out the sewing studio to get the house ready to show, I'm aghast at the amount of fabric I have. When I was traveling to exotic places, or Stockholm, with Steve, I bought fabric everywhere I went. Now it fills every drawer. Does Goodwill take fabric? But there's a limit—I ain't givin' this fabulous silk to nobody!

I actually have been sewing up new patterns in cheap fabric this year, rather than cutting into really good fabric and then giving it to Goodwill.

And unfinished projects?! Yikes! I have two or three hand-dyed quilted silk jackets that are in one stage or another of completion. I have the quilt top that I started for Ridley before she was born that I really, really want to finish. I have a quilt I made in a class, using gorgeous fabrics I bought in Amsterdam six years ago. When I was 30 years younger, I always finished a project before starting another. Oh, to live that way again.

As I browse through the homes for sale in Youngstown, I dream of how I can set up my new space for best utilization. Lighting is the thing I'm most lacking in this house and which is a must-have for task areas. My aging eyes love light.

And as I've boxed up books, I realize how many sewing and quilting books I have. Looks like the sewing room will need lots of bookshelves also.

This packing and decluttering is exciting and scary at the same time. How can I get it all done by myself? And how can I get it done in a timely manner?

Cloning is sounding like a good option right about now.

No comments: