Friday, December 14, 2007

The Melanoma Belt

I doubt that any other part of the country has the phenomenon of not being able to get in to see one's dermatologist for three months.

I called mid-November for my annual check-up and zap session. I was given an appointment on February 12th. Today I received a call from my doctor's office telling me he was retiring immediately for health reasons. This news makes me very sad, as this is a really nice guy, probably 60 years old. Fabulous table-side manner.

I have a couple of places that are bothering me, so I immediately pulled up the Blue Cross/Blue Shield web site and started searching for another dermatologist. I chose one fairly near my home. I thought a group practice with several physicians would give me a higher likelihood of being seen soon. The appointment date I was given? March 31st!!!

I made the appointment, then kept going down the BC/BS list to see if I could find anybody who'd take me sooner. Hallelujah - there was one person on the list who could see me in early January. I snagged this appointment and cancelled the first one.

That's one of the challenges of living in the land of year-round sunshine and a population filled with snowbirds.

No comments: