Monday, December 10, 2007

Dating Over 50: From the Male Perspective

You've all seen the comments from and read the references to the Traveler, my friend Lee. Lee and I met on Match.com and quickly became friends. He is very smart, writes beautifully, is highly successful in his career and respected in his professional community, a good dad, a patriot, a risk-taker, generous of spirit, and on and on. Basically, he's a Very Good Guy. And yet he has no more success in trying to find someone to date than I do.

Yesterday afternoon he wrote me a note about his recent experiences and, with his permission, I share it with you today. I thought the guys had it made, but I guess not.

Read on:

I've read your blogs on the several men who have been in your life over the last two years and the inevitable end of possible relationships. Here is what has been my experience with the dating world in just the last two weeks:

Corine A: I called her at work and asked if she would like to meet for lunch. Her reply: "I don't want to meet you." "O.K."

Lucy S: I called her at work to see if she would like to meet for lunch. Her reply: "That's impossible!" I asked if she was already in a relationship. "That's none of your business." "O.K."

Carolyn R. A woman I've known for 30 years. I called her twice last week after having lunch with her. She sends me an email telling me she is a hermit, doesn't appreciate me calling and leaving messages and she is not interested in starting any relationship period. "O.K."

Melita H. A nice lady I've met for lunch several times while I'm in Phoenix for meetings. She likes me so, I asked if she would like to attend a concert with me. "I'm sorry Lee, I've been asked to marry a man and I've accepted." "Congratulations!"

Luz P. A lovely woman I met while a member of TSA here in Tucson. She is now in New Jersey. I called her to see how she was doing. We had a cheerful conversation on the phone. When I asked if we could meet sometime and that I could fly out there if she couldn't get away, I sensed a little frost. No, as a matter of fact, I sensed heavy snow! "O.K."

Peggy B. I went to H.S. with this lady. She smokes like a chimney. I have major issues with that. When we are together I ask if she could refrain from smoking so much. I said two packs a day is going to kill you Peggy. She says she smokes three packs a day! I point out to her that that is one cigarette every 10 minutes! She says, "what's your point?!" Hmmmmm.

C.J.H. A really nice woman who winters here and summers in Ft. Collins, Colorado. I talked to her today to see when she was coming back to Tucson since it's snowing in Colorado these days. She says she's coming in a couple of weeks and oh, by the way, there is a swell guy waiting to see her in Tucson. "Congratulations C.J.!"

I'm beginning to think that dating for me is bovine scatologly!


And this morning he added:

I have one more to add that happened last night.

Nancy P: I dated her six times. No kisses, only hugs. Last night I called to see how her weekend went. After she told me what she did, she asked me what I did. I said I was installing some "bling" on my motorcycle since it was raining and I couldn't ride. She then said, " a fool and his money are soon parted." After ten seconds of silence I asked her if she thought I was a fool. She said, "well.....".
I said have a Merry Christmas and goodbye.

No comments: