Thursday, May 24, 2007

Very Quick Update

I'm in Youngstown today, having taken the 10:35 (which turned into 11:20) Continental redeye from Tucson to Newark and then connecting with a puddlejumper back to Pittsburgh, where I rented a car and rolled in the Fifth Avenue house around 11:00. Tyler immediately said, "c'mon, we gotta go to Sam's Club." So we went and got provisions for an open house to follow Bobbo's memorial service today. Then I picked up Boston from school and did some more grocery shopping, and did a little cleaning to supplement Jaci's massive cleaning, and tried to help get things set up for the open house.

I was honored tonight to meet so many dear friends and relatives of this incredible man. What a loss, his death at age 50. Hearing different friends recount memories of time spent with him was fun and melancholy and uplifting.

As I'm back in a greener part of the country, I realize how much I gain from the greenness. It's like a balm to my soul to be around so many trees.

Sitting in Newark this morning, waiting for my flight, I was surrounded by business people in real business clothes. Oh My God! There are people who know how to dress for work. What a novel concept!

Another thrilling part of the day was driving on the Pennsylvania Turnpike and seeing so many clumps of bikers headed for D.C. to ride in Rolling Thunder. When I see them, I am proud to be an American. I have had fun this week speaking and e-mailing with The Traveler, who will roll into Arlington, VA, tomorrow with 1000+ bikers who rode all the way from Southern California.

Your bit of humor for today:
Tyler and I share a love for the Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan film, Joe Versus the Volcano. At the beginning, the boss is on the phone repeating, ad infinitum, "I know he can get the job, but can he do the job?"

Let me just say, with no malice aforethought, that the Hertz counter at the Pittsburgh airport is the worst I've ever seen, bar none. I spoke on the phone with Tyler while I was waiting for my car. He quite humorously said to me, "I know they can make the reservation, but can they keep the reservation?" I laughed out loud.

This exhausted traveler bids you good night.

No comments: