Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Stupid Human Tricks

Sunday evening I went to SpaOne and had a deep tissue massage. It hurt so good! Before getting out of the car, I removed my gold earrings (a gift from John in 1997) and placed them in the car console. After the massage, I stopped at Safeway to do a little shopping. Upon arriving home, I had hands full of glasses and crossword puzzle and phone and birthday cards for Mother and Older Brother. I leaned over and grabbed my earrings out of the console.

I walked into the house to put everything down in the kitchen before coming back to empty the trunk of groceries. As I stepped from the sewing studio into the laundry room, I heard a little ping, something hitting the floor. When I put everything down on the kitchen counter, I realized I only had one earring.

I walked back to the car, studying the floor and the ground, and saw no earring. Everything John-related is very precious to me, so you can understand I was working up a real case of upset at not having this earring.

When I got back into the kitchen, I thought, brilliantly, that I should drop the other earring to see if it made the same sound I heard when I walked into the laundry room. Then I would know that the missing earring dropped in the laundry room and I could move heaven and earth and washing machine to find it.

So I picked up the remaining earring, held my arm out, and dropped it. Ping. The sound was very much like what I heard in the laundry room. So I looked down to pick up the dropped earring. Voila! It was gone. Totally disappeared! So much for my brilliance.

I got the yardstick and ran it under the refrigerator and the oven, and NOTHING. Now beyond being upset at the loss of one earring, I'm astonished at my own stupidity. Here I think I have such good logic circuits in my brain, and I just have to laugh at my reliance on logic rather than common sense.

P.S. Last night, as I was walking through the sewing studio, I glanced down and saw the first earring. And then spent the next ten minutes pulling the refrigerator out from the wall, where I found the second earring on the floor, just waiting to be rescued.

No comments: