Thursday, May 31, 2007

A Long and Sordid History

I made a couple of purchases via phone and Internet today, and Chase Visa locked my account. (Thanks alot, guys, that makes me look real good!) First I got the automated call from Chase asking me to press 1 as the little-guy-automated-computer-voice read off each purchase to confirm the transaction. Four hours later I received a second call from Chase, only this time leaving a message asking me to call the fraud prevention department.

I called, and had to key in my account number, first three letters of my mother's maiden name, and the last four of my SSN. Then the system connected me with a customer service representative, who asked me AGAIN my account number, my mother's maiden name, and the last four of my SSN. Excuse me, what was the purpose of the computer asking me this info if a person was going to ask me again?!

Once the CSR determined it was me, she then had to ask me three more questions from my long and sordid past to determine it was me. She asked which of three addresses I had lived at in the past. I got that one easily. Then she asked me what month S.G. was born! S. is Husband #2's daughter! I have had no dealings with this sniveling, manipulative little marriage-breaker since 1987. (Attitude? I don't have no stinking attitude.) I may remember my first husband's social security number, but I try to remember nothing from subsequent marriages. (I don't actually try to remember his SSN; it's just so deeply ingrained in my brain I can't get it out. To my sons: if you ever need this info, just give me a call!) Fortunately, I correctly guessed the answer to this question and confirmed my purchases (again) and they unlocked my account.

I think the people who steal identities and cause all this annoyance and aggravation for the rest of us should be strung up by their thumbs!

No comments: