Friday, May 11, 2007

A Star, Waiting to Happen

Reminiscences of time with grandbabies

Sunday afternoon in Youngstown we went to the DeYor Center to watch "The Kids and I" (takeoff on "The King and I" — get it?), staged by Easy Street Productions, with whom Jaci has a long and happy history. Maureen Collins sang, surrounded by 60+ very talented kids, from 6 to 16, who had completed a workshop she runs.

I didn't know what to expect. I've worked with lots of children's theatre groups and know the performances can run the gamut from awful to great. This one was beyond great. Every aspect of this show was handled with the utmost in professionalism. I told Maureen afterwards that she and I are going to be great friends once I get moved to Youngstown, as I can offer her both my accompaniment skills and my needle-and-thread skills to help her job run more easily.

But back to the subject of this post. Little Mr. Boston Clark, he of the incredibly keen musical ear, he who hits pitches right on and doesn't miss intervals and has done so since age 2, was taken with this production. During the finale, he sat in his seat, eyes glued to the singer/dancers and was copying every arm movement. I think if his dad or I had shouted at him, he wouldn't have heard us, so tuned in was he to what was happening on stage. My heart soared! He performed as much of the choreography as he could without leaving his seat.

Needless to say, Boston will be one of the first to sign up for Maureen's summer workshop, and I predict another long and happy history with Easy Street is in the making.

No comments: