Monday, July 17, 2006

What do they think we are?

At the same time I put my profile on Match a month ago, I also reactivated a profile on Yahoo Personals. It's much more "normal" than my Match Haiku profile. The headline is "Can't Dance, Don't Ask Me" and the intro continues, "But I do many other things well" and goes on to talk about music, computers, and art interests.

I have had zero-nil-nothing-no action on that profile in the month it's been live.

Oooooh, until yesterday. I received an icebreaker yesterday (Yahoo's equivalent to Match's winks). The man (okay, boy) who sent it is a 37yo Tucsonan, whose profile reads:


First, I would offer that this "man" doesn't understand what most women are looking for on online dating sites. Second, I would offer that this "man" doesn't even understand women! I do not personally know a woman who wants a no-strings-attached encounter; it's not in our nature. And, even if I were looking for a no-strings-attached encounter, online is NOT the venue I would choose.

Oh, yeah, the guy's Yahoo screenname is "wellendowed". Whatever.

P.S. I mentioned this interaction with Mr. Match at dinner last night (BTW, Mr. Match can cook! Really cook! No holds barred!), and he said he felt he needed to apologize for his gender in general.

No comments: