Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Haikute

I recently posted my profile on Match.com (yet again) to try to find a man to do things/go places with this summer. Tired of the same ol' same ol' of "about me" in profiles, I decided to deviate from the norm in an attempt to stand out from the crowd. My favorite newspaper is The Washington Post, and I especially enjoy Style Invitational and Autobiography as Haiku in the Sunday Style section. Having learned a little about Haiku from my son T.J., I gave my profile the subject line Life as Haiku, and started out like this:

Couples ev'rywhere
Life is short; why walk alone?
Share the joy and pain.

Friendship first, then love
might be around the corner.
Shall we try once more?

Within a couple of days, I received an email from a Nameless Man with the subject line I almost missed the first Haiku in here. His response:

Tucson's Best Lady...
Hidden On A Match Com "Site"...
How To Find Her Heart ?

For Many Are Here,
But Their Big Drawbacks I Fear
LUCK !! Throw Down A Start !

I was thrilled to have a Haiku response, so turned around:

Good men: hard to find.
Smart men are even scarcer.
Who wants to be bored?

I sought to stand out
within the crowds of sameness.
Success could be mine!

Later T.J. told me I goofed. As my Haiku partner rhymed the last lines of each verse, I should have replied in kind.

A couple of days later, Nameless Man responded:

Tucson's Best Lady
Brimming with style and good charm
Dare we stare at HER ?

Solution to that :
Set a piano on stage.....
Pay HOMAGE: (That's fine!)

My full response:

Hmmm, piano as three syllables. I've always considered it two, but I'll give you three. I should run over to m-w.com and see what their take on the subject is.

When Adam Guettel was writing the music for The Light in the Piazza, he sang one of his proposed lyrics for someone who spoke Italian. "The light in the pee-ah-zah". The listener replied, "That's fine, Adam, but it's PYA-zah."So now I'll take artistic license with what I just said, and use it both as two syllables and three.- - -

Men propose to me
When I play the piano.
Wanting to possess?

Of me it is said
I make love to the piano;
It's what I do best.

In a separate e-mail, I told NM that I was hiding my profile as I had met someone and wanted to focus on that potentional relationship for a while.

He responded:

Tucson's Best Lady....
Has Been Snagged By A New Foe ! ! !!
Grrr, Grrr, Grrr, Boooooo, HISSSSSSSSSSS !!!

And I countered:


Okay, you've got to admit that was not your best effort!

Chemistry! Magic!
Who could predict quick access
to my lonely heart?

Stay tuned . . .

No comments: