Saturday, July 22, 2006

More reasons why

Mr. Match and I continue to discuss reciprocity of winks. He feels if he winks at someone, she should wink back. I was crewsin' around Match today, looking at the history of winks and e-mails on my account. It occurred to me that if one is winked at frequently (as is Mr. Match), it would be difficult to keep track of what profiles you had viewed, whom you had returned a wink to, whom you had e-mailed.

Match is set up so that the mailbox has separate folders for notes sent and notes received. The notes are not interleaved by sender/recipient (maybe only Gmail subscribers understand what a fabulous concept Google's programmers have implemented) so it's not easy to see what someone said to you and how you responded.

Likewise, winks received and winks sent are two separate folders, so if you're an active winker/winkee, it's hard to keep them all straight.

So, Mr. Match, if you're reading, I think you must be zeroing in on the same over-50 ladies (with the exception of me, the non-winked-at) as the rest of the over-50 male Match population, and these ladies are overwhelmed. Or their post-menopausal brains are on burn-out.

Even though they think you're spectacular (which you are), they can't keep you straight from all the other spectacular men who are winking at them. (And if you think I believe that–that I believe there is a plethora of spectacular men out there–then you owe me a hot fudge sundae!)

- - -

And I'll finish this post with a funny anecdote totally unrelated to the current discussion.

I moved six weeks ago into a charming house in midtown Tucson. I have loved this house since the first time I set foot inside last summer, and am just thrilled to be settling into my little nest. I bought the house from dear friends, Jacki and Eileen. They had bought from a lesbian couple, so the house has a history .... One of my new neighbors, a wife and mother, came over yesterday morning to introduce herself when she saw me outside watering. We spoke for a few minutes, then she asked, "and what's your partner's name?"

I laughed and replied, "Oh no, I'm single. But I have a new gentleman in my life and you'll see his car around. And my 5- and 3-year-old grandchildren are here a lot." She recovered quickly and said I didn't look old enough to have grandchildren. Good save!

Hmmm, are same-sex couples not allowed to have straight friends? Or is it in the plumbing of this old house–once it has housed same-sex relationships, that's all that's allowed?

It is to laugh.

No comments: