Monday, July 31, 2006

Alternative dating sites, part two

A few days ago I talked about the things that should or could be asked on an alternative site. I've been thinking more about that today.

I think, for all the interests (hiking, camping, dancing) and the turn-ons (skinny dipping, particularly), one should be required to state the last time that activity was engaged in. For example, I put that I exercise 3-4 times a week. Truthfully, that is my goal. The last week in which I exercised (30 minutes of activity is my definition) 3-4 times was three weeks ago. But it's my objective. I'm lucky to work in a location where it's a 10-minute walk from my favorite spot in the parking lot to my office, so there's 20 minutes of walking a day, by default. And I frequently walk on my lunch break, so there's another 30 minutes of walking, if I'm diligent.

<Question of the day>
Why do I have a favorite parking spot, you ask. So I won't forget where I parked the car!

Moving on, we've talked about hiking. I love hiking. I did Gila Cliff Dwellings in May. I did a little bit of Madera Canyon in January and the Whitewater Catwalk in December. Prior to that, I can't even remember the last time — probably walking around the family property in the mountains of Western North Carolina with my 90-something mother three years ago. (Trust me, that's strenuous hiking. That woman is in darned good shape for 93.)

How about skinny dipping? Gentlemen, when's the last time you skinny-dipped? I have been skinny dipping once - with my friend Gay Taylor, God rest her soul, in her pool in Maitland. We were 11 or 12, I think. It was racy stuff!

<Disclaimer of the day>
A few days ago I railed at all the men who claim skinny dipping is a turn-on for them. Well, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. When I got home from work on Friday night, I spent 15 minutes skimming the bugs off the surface of the pool, just in case the opportunity would present itself. It didn't, but specific people have been put on notice.

And photos. How about requiring that you post the date each of your photos was taken. I put a new one up today and it's better than most of my photos. But it was taken by my almost-5yo grandson. He'd shoot one, then run off to play with his Super Marbleworks until I'd beg him to come over and try one more time. Actually, he's more professional than several people I know, including one ex-husband. (Oh, memories of the trip to Germany to visit Tyler during his exchange year just flooded over me.)

Sorry - got sidetracked there. People have dreams. People have dreams of not only who they want to be with, but also of who they really are. Trying to find the delicate balance between who we are and who we believe or see ourselves to be is one of the great challenges of this online dating exercise, as well as most of life.

Finally, how about a new free-text category of the things I've done in my life that I wish I could have a do-over for. Or maybe that's not such a good idea. I'd have a really hard time picking only one.

But maybe, just maybe, you'd learn a lot about whether the person you're interested in is capable of learning from his mistakes.

No comments: