Saturday, May 03, 2008

Sisters of the Wine and Blue

Today I drove to Akron (yes, on my day off) to celebrate Pi Beta Phi Founders Day with eleven other Pi Phi alums. We had a delicious lunch in the atrium of the Akron Art Museum, followed by a docent-led tour of the modern collection. This is a wonderful museum and the docent was very knowledgeable and nice.

I enjoyed meeting these women, and was welcomed as warmly as by the Tucson alums eight years ago. One woman lives a couple of miles from my office and gave me her card, saying I could call her any time I was too tired to drive back to Youngstown at the end of the day or the weather prevented my driving. My own snow family! I've been hearing Garrison Keillor talk about snow families for twenty-five years and now I have my own!

I think it's wonderful that women around the world, who share something so small as membership in a chapter of the same fraternity at some point in their lives, embrace and support each other with enduring constancy. I feel blessed to be a part of this organization.

No comments: