Thursday, May 22, 2008

Mistress of Overscheduling

I did not plan this week well, resulting in a minor meltdown at work today.

I've only been on the job less than 90 days and the learning curve is rather steep. There is a lot of terminology and technology that I have to learn. Last week I realized I hadn't protected some documents from being editable before placing them in the online library. In my furor to rectify that error, I missed a request my boss made of me. Today I felt stupid and incompetent and was sure I was going to lose my job, as a result of which I'd have to declare bankruptcy and lose all the negative equity I have in my houses. When I finally sat and talked to my boss about some of my confusion, I told him I can get from A (made a mistake) to Z (losing my job) in the snap of a finger!

Of course it doesn't help that I scheduled myself, at Jaci's request, to make five teddy bears for Ridley's party. And do lots of babysitting during Tyler's business trip to DC. All this came during a week when my boss and I are trying to complete all the documentation for the next product release. Our deadline for the docs is tomorrow. Oh, and I'm driving to DC tomorrow, so I had to pack tonight. After I finished the teddy bears.

Would somebody disable the part of my spine that enables me to nod my head when someone asks me to do something?

4 comments:

Jill said...

Oh to only be able to say "NO" or "I'm sorry I would love to .... but just don't have the time". Words we ladies just don't seem to have in our vocabularies. Drive carefully!! By the way David and I will be in DC July 9, 10, 11 - leaving noon on the 12th. He is in a trade booth and I need ideas of where to go and what to see. We will be at the Shoreham by the Zoo.

xoxoJill

Tyler said...

I have a friend at work whose been there practically since the company started twelve years ago. She's still convinced she's inches away from being fired with the smallest misstep.

Jaci Clark said...

Sorry the bears were so much work. When we talked about them for the party you made it sound like it would be easy and not a problem. If I would have known how difficult they were going to be for you I never would have asked you to make them. :(

Jan Crews said...

No, no. They weren't hard and I was happy to do it. It was just the alignment of the stars or something that everything happened this week -- deadlines at work and Ty being out of town. I'm glad I could do this for you and believe it will be something Boston and Ridley will remember for years to come. I hope the little guests enjoy them. :)