Sunday, May 11, 2008

A Motherly Day in This Beautywood

I had a really lovely day. When my boys were adolescents and living with their father, Mother's Day was always very painful for me. Their father would not see to it that they called me. He focused the day on his wife and let me be ignored. At the same time, I was married to a man who said, "You're not my mother. I'm not doing anything for you on Mother's Day."

So there you go. There are a number of insensitive men in this world, and many of them have inhabited my life.

But that was then and this is now. As I sat at the breakfast table, expecting nothing and wanting this day to be about Jaci and what a wonderful mother she is, Tyler and the grands presented me with two gifts and two beautiful cards.

I'm a lucky mom.

(For the musicians in the reading audience, Tyler found a very neat little music notation notebook, about 3.5" x 5.5", that's just the right size to be tucked in a purse or bag for notation on the fly. Genius!)

No comments: