Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Moveable Feasts

I'm constantly searching for the perfect portable breakfast. I thought I had found it today, but I was wrong.

When I have time or can make time to get to the grocery store, I stay stocked up on my fave granola with flax seeds. To that I add strawberries (and other berries when the prices are reasonable) and unflavored yogurt. Mix it all together in a plastic bowl with a lid, and eat as I drive. Yum!

But lately I haven't been making it to the store, so I'm out of everything. And that means stopping for something between home and office, or raiding the vending machine for a granola bar or a Pop-Tart once I reach my desk. Feelin' healthy? Nah.

The Ravenna exit is about midway between Youngstown and Akron/Fairlawn and has McDonald's and Arby's. Normally I get an Egg McMuffin meal, but lately they've felt so greasy to me that I have wanted something that felt more healty. An Arby's just reopened across the street from the Ravenna McDonald's. I checked online and they show a breakfast wrap that seemed like it would be better.

It is marginally better, but only in the grease quotient. It's scrambled eggs, meat (bacon, ham, or sausage) and potatoes! With a side of potatoes! If they'd just make a wrap with scrambled eggs, I'd be happy. Not necessarily healthy, but happy.

What I really want is the energy bars one could buy at the Price Club about twenty years ago. They were 1.5"x1.5"x4" mini-loaves of whole wheat bread chockfull of fruit and nuts. They were delicious and nutritious. But no vendor leaves well-enough alone.

Dannon used to make a wonderful yogurt smoothie, but of course they had to change the formula, and now it's got artificial sweeteners, to which I'm allergic. So that won't work.

So I'm back on my quest.

Morning drive: listen to podcasts and the New York Times feed; talk on phone to family and friends; dodge deer; eat breakfast. Oh yeah, and pay attention to traffic.

Maybe I should just get up fifteen minutes earlier so I could eat at home before hitting the road. Y'think?

1 comment:

Jill said...

Mine is coffee, an apple and either a hard boiled egg or the Harvest Grain protein bar - Oatmeal Raisin flavor. then I take out my curlers and comb my hair, roll down the windows and use the hair spray. All in 25-35 minutes! Those energy loafs are still at Costco here!! NOt going to spend an extra 15 minutes at home eating and doing my hair when I am in the car!!

xoxojill