Monday, May 19, 2008

How Basically Can One Live?

I'm thinking of moving into my storage unit. No, no—it has nothing to do with the accommodations or amenities in the 1860 Annex.

I spent the entire day in my new sewing room. I think the babes and I descended the stairs at 9:00 a.m., came up at 1:00 for lunch, and came up upon completion of our projects at 6:00 p.m. I looked at the clock and couldn't believe an entire Sunday had passed and I was still in my PJs!

The projects? Teddy bears. Carol Cruise of Carol's Zoo puts out a cute kit to make a Papa, Mama and Baby Bear. The bear has only two pattern pieces, so is very simple to put together. Ridley and I made hers first - the Baby Bear. Then Boston and I worked on the Papa Bear, and when that was done I started on the Mama Bear for this grandma. While I was working on Mama, Boston was busily cutting up the scraps and making a blankie for his Papa Bear and for his beloved Spike (stuffed red and green dragon picked up at Target in the $1 aisle!).



The machine I was using today is a Bernina 1630, much loved. I've probably driven 100,000 miles, or spools of thread, on this machine. (There's the story of John's mother, after I bought this machine, querying the price I paid. When I told her, she asked if it had a steering wheel.) This is a computerized machine with tons o' stitches. I was astonished how quickly Boston, three months short of age seven, picked up the intricacies of this machine. I would explain the function, demonstrate once, and he was off and running. He was fearless about putting the pedal to the metal and running the thing full out, after he saw me do the same. The need to be worried about how advanced this next generation is!

Boston has a very creative mind. This morning as we were waking up from our sleepover at Grandma's "house", he saw me looking at fabric swatches online and started telling me what he wanted me to get a gold silk shantung for. He wanted a red t-shirt with an appliqued honey pot (cut from the gold silk) tipped on its side, honey spilling out, and two bees buzzing around above the honey pot.

He describes things in great detail and knows exactly the kind of fabric he wants, although he has to simply describe it related to other blankets or shirts he has, as he doesn't know the names of all the types of fabric.

Oh, I almost forgot. The storage unit? Every five minutes I would think of some tool I needed that is deep inside the storage unit in one of many boxes marked "sewing room items". Yesterday I bought new scissors and pins, but so many of my specialized tools are just Missing In Action.

Just think. By the time I get my own place and get the storage unit unpacked, I'll have duplicates of all my tools. Hey, I can teach one-on-one sewing lessons and be fully equipped.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Or.. your new assistant Boston will have his own set of tools! The bears are adorable!

Jan Crews said...

Actually that's the picture from the pattern, not the bears we made. Boston chided me for that as he was reading my blog post this morning. (Yes, my almost-7yo grandson reads my blog. Upon occasion.) I'll take a picture of the actual bears in the next day or so and post that.