Friday, March 09, 2007

What is My Second-Best Case Scenario?

I've said all along that my best-case scenario would be if IBM would let me telecommute from Youngstown. My team lead, the Webmaster, is in favor of it. She and I work very well together and she depends on me heavily. But she doesn't make the decisions. An old-school control-freak fortyish man in Raleigh makes the decisions. He wants the team to be located only in Raleigh and Tucson. Ignore the fact that one woman telecommutes from Austin, TX, and a part-time man telecommutes from Montana during the summer.

My employer asked my IBM manager a month ago if I could telecommute, and the answer came back this morning: "He is not willing to let you work remotely at this point."

I'm feeling very disappointed this morning, as I'm good at this job and would like to continue in this position. But my family is my higher priority. I want to be within driving distance to my family so I can watch these babies grow and provide any help that is needed.

So now I try again to figure out what is next.

No comments: