Wednesday, March 07, 2007

I Pass

The first two years of my law school attendance was while I was working fulltime at IBM. Four nights a week I would race out of the office at 5:00, drive through Roy Rogers' to grab dinner, which I would eat while racing down I-270 and the Beltway and River Road to get to class on time. I often joked that I had dropped enough food under the driver's seat to feed a family of four for two weeks.

I tried very hard to keep current with all the reading for my classes, but it was very difficult. Frequently my eyes would pass over the words without my fully absorbing the issues. As I sat in class, I practiced saying "I pass" to myself in case the professor called on me. I was scared to death of being called on and not knowing the answer or looking like a fool.

As I mentioned earlier, I had a dinner date loosely scheduled with Mr. Match for the weekend, then I heard nothing from him. He called last night as I was driving home and I didn't answer the call. I wanted time to practice saying "I pass". He left a message and I called him back three times throughout the rest of the evening, but he was on another call for over an hour.

The "I pass" statement he's going to get as soon as we speak is "I deserve better treatment that you're willing to practice." I refuse to do this via e-mail. It must be by phone.

I feel strongly enough about this man that I would stay in Tucson and just take regular trips to Youngstown. This is his loss!

No comments: