Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Men and Relationships

I have mentioned that I'm corresponding by e-mail with a recovering workaholic who now lives in Western Pennsylvania and spends his time monitoring his investments. We write about all sorts of things, and he's very generous in sharing his thoughts with me.

I talked about how very clear I am on wanting a relationship and how I share that clarity freely with men I date. I don't play games. I don't pretend. I'm 56 years old. I want one more relationship in my life. And all the men who say they want the same thing, in reality, don't.

I asked if men have to be coaxed into relationships.

Jim's response: What a woman brings to a man is a place of safety where he doesn't have to compete and isn't always being judged.

I thought that was a brilliant statement. But why is it so hard for men to realize the ability to have that "soft place to fall" (as Dr. Phil calls it) is right in front of them? Why is it so hard for them to open their hearts and take a chance?

No comments: