Thursday, March 08, 2007

Second Life

The marketing staff at IBM (of which I am one) has been challenged to hold a marketing event on Second Life in association with a product announcement on April 24.

You already know that I feel like my life is totally out of control. Well, thank you very much IBM, now there's a whole other universe where my life is out of control. Only this time it's my virtual life. Great. Both my real life and my virtual life are out of control.

I won't tell you my opinion of IBM's actions in this realm ("ours not to question why, ours just to guffaw and do it"). I will tell you I think Second Life (SL) is very strange. People are making money - real US$ money - out there. There are reports that between $500K and $1M changes hands every day in this cyberworld. There's a book on Amazon entitled Play Money: Or, How I Quit My Day Job and Made Millions Trading Virtual Loot.

I don't understand it. I just thought I'd share with you that my life is even more out-of-control than it was at this time last week. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go practice my flying.

If you'd like to view a demo on YouTube, go here.

2 comments:

TJ said...

Out of frustration with having subscribed to World of Warcraft and getting bored with it for the second time now, I decided last week to download Second Life. I've only played once, but I was on for several hours. I'm still not really sure what the point is, aside from buying tattoos and more realistic looking genitalia. Maybe I was hanging out in the wrong areas.

On the other hand, I did play my first and only game of sudoku there. So I guess that's something.

jc said...

(IBM Execs loudly shouting, "It's not a game.) Ummm. Whatever.