Thursday, March 01, 2007

More on Miraculous Women

When I walked down the hall a little bit ago to refill my water bottle, I noticed a woman wearing great red shoes. So I said to her, "cool shoes", and she replied, "thanks".

Do men do this? I think not. Doug (the Lemonade Tycoon) always wears cool shoes and artist-made batik shirts with fabulous buttons. But I doubt any man has looked at his cool shoes and commented on them.

At various times in my life I've made it a point to compliment each person I interacted with in a day. Genuinely compliment. I always remembered the horrible marriage to the mountain man in western Loudoun County, where he might as well have kicked me as I walked out the door, so sour was my mood after our morning interactions and my two-hour commute. It gave me an entirely different perspective on what causes people to react the way they do. Basically, you never know what happened to them when they left home that morning. Imagine how the tiniest positive comment can turn their day around.

So compliment someone today. And tip your hat to me, 'cause I'm having an unusually good day!

1 comment:

Traveler said...

Hey Jan, cool jacket! It looks nice on you.

Traveler