Monday, August 21, 2006

What exactly was she thinking?

The headline on Mr. Match's profile states, "Could I be the man of your dreams? You'll never know if we don't meet." (And knowing the market as I do, I'd project that many women would read about him and answer "Yes" to that question.)

So this morning he told me he got an in-your-face e-mail from a woman on Match. He had never seen the woman's profile before receiving her e-mail. She had not shown up on any of his searches — was, simply, an unknown entity prior to this e-mail.

Evidently she wanted to know why he hadn't written her. She had never winked at him or e-mailed him, so it wasn't a matter of his being nonresponsive. And, BTW, he told me that even if he had seen her profile, there was nothing about this woman that interested him enough for him to begin correspondence with her. In essence, she said, "you are the man of my dreams and what are we waiting for?"

Hmmm. I see lots of attractive, seemingly desireable men on Match. (Yeah, most of them live in Southern California, but that's another post.) But it's a long way from "what an attractive man" (and assuming that a photo is an adequate representation) through compatibility, companionability, and basic social acceptability to "we're burnin' daylight; let's get moving". And I would also offer that there are lots of available ways to start a potential relationship short of aggression and confrontation!

A couple of Mr. Match's traits that I treasure are his laid-back view of life and the way he doesn't take anything too seriously. If that's the kind of guy you want, hitting him over the head with a baseball bat is clearly not the way to capture him!

No comments: