Wednesday, August 30, 2006

News You Don't Know Exactly What to Do With

I opened up my Ivanhoe.com newsletter just now and read "Too Many Men Is Bad for Society" No. No! Who started this ugly rumor? If I have a hard time getting a date with the current number of men in the universe, imagine what would happen if there were even fewer men. I might as well join a convent!

However, on the brighter side, here's what the researchers found:

The men who are not able to marry are more likely to be poorer and less educated than men who are able to find a wife, according to the researchers. With no family or outlet for sexual energy, these men could be part of trend toward increased levels of antisocial behavior and violence. (TJ, are you listening? Stop cavorting around and get down to business. I don't want to see you wind up in jail!) A positive outcome of an unbalanced society could be the raised social status of women, suggest the researchers.

Would I rather have experience a date or "raised social status of women"? Hmmm, that's a tough one!

4 comments:

jenclair said...

Interesting article. I can see that men without marriage prospects might have a tendency toward antisocial behavior. All studies show married men as happier and more content. And think of the violent behavior that resulted in frontier societies where there were few women.

jc said...

Jen, you can't even imagine how envious I am of women who made the right choice for first or second time!

jc said...

I was trying to say "who made the right choice the first or second time around". That's what I get for blogging in the middle of a meeting!

TJ said...

heh. Uh....

There are several responses I could make here, but I don't want to make a blog post in your comments, so I'll just use two words:

Scott Peterson

He had both family and (more than one) outlet for sexual energy.