Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Hood Ornaments

Mr. Match is traveling this week. When he called last night, I read him today's post. He asked if I was writing specifically about him or men in general. I said I thought it was about men in general, but he was definitely a major figure in there.

I've gotten several e-mails from male friends today saying, basically, that older men seeking young honeys is an ego thing. I guess it's similar to the joke asking why the dog licks himself — because he can. I guess these guys run after the sweet young things because the sweet young things are responsive. Or at least some of them must be or it wouldn't be such a phenomenon. Meanwhile, we wise old (cultured, refined, lovely, self-assured, got-our-acts-together) broads are sitting here, twiddling our thumbs, waiting for these guys to realize that there's more to beauty that outward appearances.

The Kayaker, God bless him, wrote that a hood ornament can be fun for a little while, but pretty soon gets boring.

I'm actually surprised TJ hasn't commented on this topic, but then he's only 32, so I'm not sure what his experience with "younger women" is. I'm not interested in him being accused of statutory thisorthat.

I belong to a creative listserve, comprised of women who have attended the "Design Outside the Lines" workshops that Marcy Tilton and Diane Ericson moderate. We've been talking about "Altered Barbies" lately. I was thinking about ways to alter a Barbie to typify a hood ornament or "hot and cold running women". I was thinking about replacing her breasts with small old-fashioned faucet handles, you know the ones with white porcelain knobs and a little engraved H or C in the middle.

I'm not sure where this is going, so I'll stop for now and tell you a story later on. (she said, laughing at herself)

2 comments:

TJ said...

Honey, you don't want to know my experiences. Younger women, older women, same-aged women.

TRUST me!

bunny said...

I'm older! We've got a 4.5 year spread.

I never date older guys. It's always younger. Not even anyone my own age. Weird. And I'm sorry, but those older guys who go after the young chickies - they look like fools.

But if that's what they value - arm candy, the ego boost of someone who could be their granddaughter, impressing others rather than engaging in a relationship between equals that includes intellectual stimulation and the bond of similar life experiences - then it tells you everything you need to know about them. Wave goodbye to those old goofballs and pick up your own younger man!