Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The Numbers Game

My elder son suggested in his comment yesterday that it's a numbers game, but the number is greater than one. I certainly hope so! I've been married four times, plus a long-term engagement, and a couple more proposals beyond that.

If there is only one match for each person, one Mr. Right, then I used up my one long ago. Okay, so maybe only John was Mr. Right, and the rest were Mr. Almost-Right (or Mr. Not-Even-Close; was the Kayaker right when he said I have poor taste in men?!). But I want another happy relationship like I had with John. I want there to be more than one Mr. Right.

They say the higher a salary you're seeking when you're job-hunting, the longer it takes to secure that job. I sent out resumés for 17 months before I got my current job - not because the salary was so high, but because my skill set is so unique. When EEFFH and I were selling our million-dollar house in the Foothills, it took about eighteen months to find a buyer.

If you analogize those anecdotes to searching for Mr. Right, I wonder how many first dates I have to endure or how many months I have to keep up this dating exercise before I can find that one person with whom to walk for the rest of my life.

I do want a high-value man — one who treats me well, is intelligent, is easy on the eyes, and who knows how to laugh. And I do have a unique dating resumé, with a long relationship history behind me.

My current job is absolutely worth the 17-month search. Hopefully, when Mr. Right makes himself known, it will be worth all the interminable first dates it took to find him.

No comments: