Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Okay. I'm old.

I went to lunch with three colleagues today. We went over to Donato's and used a $5 off coupon for some great thin-crust pizza.

I should set the stage by telling you I believe all three of these colleagues are under 30. One is, I believe, under 25. They're young. I'm not.

We were sitting, chatting and waiting for our pizza, when a fast, loud song came on the sound system, I heard the youngest of the three say something about liking cake. My mind was on the fact that tomorrow is monthly birthday cake day at my workplace. We get these cakes from the wife of a colleague, and the cakes are fabulous. I immediately piped up that I love the cakes this woman makes.

My lunch companions all burst into gales of laughter. They were talking about the band "Cake", whose song was being played all around us. I had never heard of the band "Cake".

I just had to laugh at this prime example of age disparities and life experience.
_____

Further, not only am I old, I am no judge of age. My colleague told me she and our best work buddy, both of whom I judged to be under 30, are actually approaching 32. And the young woman I surmised was under 25? Over 25 by a couple of years.

So does that make me seem to be 55 or younger?

No comments: