Wednesday, January 27, 2010

No Phone Zone

Have you heard about Oprah's No Phone Zone? I'm sympathetic, really I am. I get annoyed beyond relief at the dingaling (pun intended) drivers who pull into the left lane, lower their speed to 60, and start talking on the phone. I only talk in the right lane. Aren't I good?

And I do text. But I only text when there are no cars around. And I look up between each character. How many points on the "You're Not an Unsafe Driver" scale do I get for that behavior?

Since leaving Tucson twenty-three months ago, I have put eighty thousand miles on my car. That's an "8", followed by four—count 'em, four!—zeroes. 80,000.

If I signed on for Oprah's No Phone Zone pledge, I would totally lose touch with all my friends. My drive time is my sacred communication time. I call my mother every morning, whether she hears the phone ring and answers, or not. I call the Traveler, who arrives at his Tucson office before 5:30, and is always happy to hear from me. I call PianoLady to see if I can get her before she heads to the gym or Starbucks. I call my long-time buddy JW in Rochester, who always makes me feel like I've performed a great service to mankind, or to that man, by calling. On the evening commute, it's the perfect time to catch up with friends in Tucson. I've arranged lots of get-togethers for my March trip simply by holding the iPhone to my ear while I'm driving home.

How do I feel about the possibility of laws prohibiting me from picking up my phone while I'm driving? I feel like they're going to create a whole damned lot of wasted hours! Oh, yeah, and boredom.

2 comments:

Ypsi said...

I can totally get wanting to talk on the phone in the car, and I think you're fine doing that.

Texting? No. Please don't do it -- it's not worth risking your life or other people's.

The driver who hit us wasn't texting, but he had been on the phone with his angry boss and he was quite distracted. I would hate to have you be on either end of a scenario like that.

You are my friend and I respect you too much not to be honest with you about this.

Jan Crews said...

Thanks, Tani. I hear you. Jas gently hammered me about this the other day, also, so I will be a good citizen and pay attention.

xo