Saturday, January 30, 2010

It Just Ain't Right

OR: Brrrrr!

It's about 12 degrees in Youngstown this morning, and the wind chill is slated to be below zero today. In a phrase: it's cold!

As I was getting dressed in my cold bedroom, I glanced at the windows and realized there was a problem. Ice. Ice inside my bedroom windows. Now, that's cold!

The first three photos here are taken in my bedroom (!) of the inside of my bedroom window.

I guess we could say that these 1927 windows weren't designed to block the cold.








These last two pictures were taken about ten days ago. After two weeks of daily snow and below-freezing temps, we had had one day where the sun came out. The high temperature was still below freezing, but the sun caused some of the icicles to melt.

The icicles on the west side of my house melted and dripped onto tree branches below, and as they dripped and froze, dripped and froze, they formed a magnificent arc of an ice sculpture.

Can you imagine if I had wanted an ice sculpture like this for a wedding or other event? I would have had to pay Big Bux to have someone sculpt this. But Mother Nature sculpted it for me for free!







Stay warm today, wherever you are!

No comments: