Thursday, May 21, 2009

Run For the Wall

I had a fabulous adventure yesterday! My buddy, Lee, is riding in the Run For the Wall, from the Los Angeles area to Arlington, VA. Lee is riding this year in honor of his best buddy, David Simmons, who lost his life in Vietnam at age 23. Lee had been trying to find David for many years, and just found his grave a little over a year ago. Lee is carrying with him a beautiful sandstone plaque inscribed with David's name. As he crosses the country, Lee is having various veterans autograph the plaque. He was excited to have met two Navajo Code Talkers in northern Arizona and get their signatures.

He will take the plaque to the wall, then send it to David's niece in Michigan, who adores the stories she's heard of her uncle, and even named her son for him.

I drove yesterday to Hurricane, WV, just west of Charleston, where I met up with Lee. We drove to a site where we could watch the 350 bikers roll off the Interstate, Then we had dinner in a wonderful Mexican restaurant and just caught up on our lives, including his new love.

I'm so happy for this wonderful, selfless man to finally have a woman who loves him the way he deserves to be loved.

After three hours of visiting, I turned around and drove the four hours home. I enjoyed every minute of the trip!

No comments: