Saturday, May 02, 2009

I Love Old Houses

Really, I do. I love old houses. Oh, wait, did you hear me saying that last Saturday, also?

Today's Historical House surprise was Brad telling me his sink was leaking. My new washer and dryer were delivered today, and a very nice plumber came to hook up the gas line to the new dryer. While he was here, I took him upstairs to look at Brad and Makayla's sink.

Oops! Damn! Oh Shit! Choose your expletive-of-choice.

Not only does the pipe under the sink have a problem, the sink itself is cracked and irreparable. But, wait—there's more! The fittings are 82 years old and are not made any more. I can't have a corner sink or a pedestal sink. I've got to buy a bathroom vanity that is 24" or less. Preferably or less. If it's 24", I will have to lose the quarter-round at the baseboard and the little metal bell-shaped things that go around the bathtub pipes where they meet the floor.

I love conquering a shopping challenge, so I guess I'm equal to the task. My new best friend plumber is leaving in the morning to go fishing for a week, so I've got seven days to find a suitable vanity and sink.

But there is goodness in my house today. See those gorgeous cellular shades? In the family room there are lovely ecru double-cell shades, to provide insulation and a little darkness for TV watching. In Brad's room are ivory shades, to go with the ivory paint and beautiful refinished woodwork. And in the bathroom, bottom-up/top-down cream shades that allow light into the bath while preserving our privacy.

I am so happy to have these shades. We'll ignore the fact that the designer neglected to order my bedroom shades, and that she mis-estimated the amount of time I'd have to live with no covers on my windows. The bedroom shades will arrive this coming week, and the Blind Man (really, that's his company name) will come back next Saturday to finish the installation. My neighbors will be so happy to not have me flashing them any more!

The other niceness for today, discovered while washing windows in the family room this morning, is a beautiful dogwood tree just outside my family room window.

I love this old house.

No comments: