Monday, May 25, 2009

A Salute to Two Great Parents

Two moments of my weekend illuminated and emphasized what wonderful parents my son and daughter-in-law are.

Moment 1:
I picked up Boston and Ridley around dinnertime on Sunday for a sleepover. We decided to go to Crandall Park to play on the jungle gym for a while before dinner. I pulled the car up to the curb and the kids popped out of the car. Boston looked down to the play area, then turned around to ask if I had a grocery bag in the car. When I asked why, he pointed out all the trash people had left on the play area.

Before running and climbing and playing, Boston and Ridley took the bag I had in the car, picked up every piece of litter they found in the play area, and deposited it in the trash receptacle.

Tyler and Jaci, I salute you for the awareness of the universe you are instilling in your children. Keep up the good work!

Moment 2:
This afternoon, after an hour or so at a new favorite playground, Ridley went home and Boston came back to my house to ride his Razor scooter. As we were hanging out, he asked if his mom had invited people over for dinner. He thought, because it was a holiday, that his family should be having a "dinner party." He wasnted me to call his mom and have her invite some people over. I told him that probably wasn't possible, as his mom had worked on Saturday and spent all day Sunday cleaning the garage, so the house really wasn't presentable for company. We called his mom and threw together an impromptu family dinner, he got his desired hot dogs, and we sated his need to observe traditions.

I love that he has a heart for tradition. I love that, to him, holidays mean opening one's home to family and friends. I love that he thinks his mom can throw a dinner party together at the blink of an idea. This child is not an introvert or selfish or thoughtless. He knows how to live life because of the wonderful parents whose genes mixed together to form him and his sister.

He is one lucky boy!

No comments: