Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Quietude

Yes, I've been quiet since Saturday.

I had a wonderful Mother's Day weekend attending performances of The Music Man, staged by Youngstown's Easy Street Productions. I sat in the front row of the balcony for the Friday night performance, Orchestra row two house left for Saturday night, and Orchestra row two house right for Sunday matinee. It was a wonderful performance. Tyler and the other barbershop quartet members did a fabulous job; Jaci was darling as a pick-a-little lady; Boston as a member of the boys band and Ridley as a chorus member were precious. Ridley wore one of my dresses for the two Friday performances (morning performance for the local schools), and a different dress, with pinafore, for the Saturday and Sunday shows. How fun to see my handiwork on stage.

I took my little Nikon Point & Shoot camera with me on Sunday and got about 15 or 20 photos. When I got home, after dinner with the family, including Tyler's dad and stepmother, I tried to transfer them to my computer. Alas, either Vista or Picasa or some combination destroyed the files. I've been in mourning ever since, as these are irreplaceable photos, from an event that will never be recreated. Very sad.

My housemate, who earns his living as a techie, was unable to recover the photos. I've tried several other data recovery programs and cannot get them. It just makes me sick. If you're on Facebook and a FB friend of Jaci's, you can see some backstage photos she's posted. (If you're not a FB friend of hers, just send her a friend request and tell her you're a friend of mine and want to see her photos.)

My bottom line: every minute I spent sewing those costumes—both Ridley's dresses and Boston's knickerbockers—was worth the time spent. I learned more about sewing, and I was rewarded by seeing my creations on stage.

I'm one lucky grandma!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The costumes were gorgeous Jan - You did a fabulous job.

I took about a dozen pictures in Muir Woods Redwood Forrest over the weekend and none of them were recoverable - I know how that feels :(

Back to the bright side - How lucky your family is to have such talent at your fingertips :)